If you are like most motorists, it is likely that you never think about your car's air conditioning system until summer rolls around or when it is defective. Yet, there was a time when people took meticulous care of their auto AC systems since they were deemed a luxury, as they were not outfitted in every vehicle! But despite how AC systems are taken for granted in the current times, it does not negate the fact that these are intricate systems comprising a multitude of components that all function to give you complete control over the internal temperatures of your car.
At the outset, your AC's sole job may seem to be keeping you cool, but in truth, this system is way more functional than that. Hence, routine servicing is integral if it is to stay operational for the duration of its shelf life. If you have been taking this system for granted, this piece explains why it is important to adhere to your car air conditioning service schedule.
What does the mechanic look for when they carry out car air conditioning servicing?
A misconception that individuals have regarding car air conditioning servicing is that it is simply for repairing pre-existing problems, but this is not entirely correct. Certainly, the mechanic will identify and resolve any issues present, but this is not the only job that they are tasked with. A thorough air conditioning service will also entail:
- Thorough cleaning of the system
- Replacing clogged filters
- Replenishing of refrigerant
- Investigating the presence of leaks
- Replacing worn components such as degraded silicone and rubber parts
You should know that with scheduled servicing, your mechanic has a better chance of catching lurking problems before they become exacerbated. Hence, you could end up avoiding extensive repairs that could prove quite expensive.
What are the advantages of scheduled car air conditioning servicing?
In addition to mitigating the risk of premature malfunction and saving you the burden of costly repairs, sticking to an AC maintenance schedule offers several additional benefits. Some of the advantages that you will reap include:
- Mitigating moisture damage: Australia can get exceedingly humid during the summer. As the AC cools the air in your vehicle, it also works to mitigate moisture damage to your upholstery and interiors by dehumidifying the cabin too. This dehumidification is also great during wet weather, as it eliminates any moisture droplets collecting at the lining of your windows and windshield. The less moisture in your vehicle, the reduced the threat of mould.
- Improving air quality: A surprising advantage of a functional auto AC system is its cleaning properties! When the filters are in optimum condition, your air conditioning system will extract contaminants from the air while it is cooling it. Hence, you get to breathe easier in your car.